Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Flip Flops, Kerouac and Green Tea Frapuccinos

I love summer. The warm weather, walking barefoot through the back yard. There are so many wonderful things about summer. This is the time of year when I always start planning my summer reading list. It's kind of a tradition. Ever since high school I've always picked out what I wanted to read during the summer, when I wasn't being forced to read books I wasn't interested in. These books tend to be longer, more difficult reading than what I would normally read during the year (past examples include the Odyssey and last summer I read the Iliad).

Today I decided it was time to comprise this summer's list. Even though it's my day off I spent over an hour at Barnes & Noble looking through the books and deciding what to buy. During this time I learned that putting me in a bookstore where I get a 30% discount with my 2006 Income Tax Rebate sitting in the bank is a very bad combination. If it wasn't for that 30% I would have spent well over $100 in books today. For anyone who has a B&N nearby (or a Starbucks) I highly recommend the the Green Tea Frapuccinos. They are amazing and a perfect summer refreshment, no lie.

The result? Here's this summer's list so far (some of these I already have, or still plan on buying. I didn't buy them all today). If anyone has any suggestions feel free to leave them! Here's my list so far in no particular order:

- East of Eden by John Steinbeck
- The Dharma Bums by Jack Kerouac
- Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen
- Grave Peril by Jim Butcher (Book 3 of the Dresden files)
- Summer Knight by Jim Butcher (Book 4 of the Dresden files)
- Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert
- Nevermore by Keith R.A. Candido (a Supernatural novel)
- Blowing My Cover: My Life as a CIA Spy by Lindsay Moran
- The Bourne Ultimatum by Robert Ludlum
- Ireland by Frank Delaney (I actually started this a year ago and still haven't finished it, I've been distracted by other books)

If that doesn't prove that I have an eclectic taste in reading material I don't know what will. I also plan on re-reading The Order of the Phoenix and The Half Blood Prince before the movie comes out. And since I work at a bookstore I am sure I will discover more books before the summer is over. And I'm sure you'll all have the privilege of reading my thoughts on each of these books as I finish them.

Now, on a completely unrelated note I just had to share this anecdote with you. This morning, as I was paying bills and deciding how much money I could safely spend on my shopping spree my dog Shelby decided she wanted to go outside. Of course I was busy so I ignored her as long as I could. Finally, after a lot of wandering around she came over sat down next to me and barked once. It was only then, as I looked down at her, I noticed my flip-flops, which had been laying several feet away, had suddenly appeared by my feet. Shelby may be stubborn, but she's no idiot. I just wish she acted that smart all the time, not just when she wanted to.

And with that, I'm off to start dinner and decide which book on my list I'm going to start reading first.

5 comments:

psychoactive toad said...

I like your list. I have a stack of books myself, which includes On The Road - Jack Kerouac, Spook - Mary Roach, and Einstein: His Life and Universe - Walter Isaacson. I can't believe I haven't read On The Road yet, given its connection to Supernatural, but I'm about to start it.

Of course the book I am most looking forward to reading this summer is Deathly Hallows. I'm going to sit down with it and not stop reading until I'm done.

Charissa said...

I read On The Road back in the fall after I learned it was part of the inspiration for Supernatural and I loved it. It made me wish I could just jump in a car and travel all over the country.

Catherine said...

East of Eden is a good choice! You can't really go wrong with a good ol' fashion story about crazy prostitutes. I'd like to suggest anything by Micheal Chabon - he has a new one out that I haven't read yet, but I'd suggest Mysteries of Pittsburgh, Wonder Boys, or the Adventures of Kaviler and Clay... Summerland if you are in the mood for a fun fantasy. :-)

Charissa said...

Michael Chabon, hmmm... I was actually thinking about picking up a book by him. I read an article on his new book in Entertainment Weekly, it sounds interesting. I'll have to look into it.

Michael said...

Interesting list, though East of Eden might take you half the summer on its own. I've decided to re-read the contents of my middle bookshelf this summer: The Leopard by Lampedusa, Wind up Bird Chronicle and Graham Greene. The English climate has a way of keeping people indoors.