Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Ireland Day 4: Knock, Yeats' grave and Belleek

This will be a short blog, because believe it or not I'm actually trying to upload some photos! Not many, because I'm afraid of going over my limit and it takes a while to load them. I have over 300 pix at the moment, so there will not be a shortage of them to view when I get home.

This morning we went to the Knock shrine, which is a place some people saw an apparition of the Virgin Mary back in 1879. Since I'm not catholic it wasn't too interesting, but there was a cool graveyard nearby.

We stopped at Yeats' grave next. It was a lot more plain than I had imagined for Ireland's greatest poet. But I got some pictures and I bought a book of poetry edited by Seamus Heaney.

Last was a tour of Belleek pottery, they make some really nice pieces. I bought a small jewelry box.

Tomorrow we go to Glenveagh castle and stop in Letterkenny, which is Elizabethtown's sister city. Should be fun. Now, if this internet connection can hold up for more than a couple seconds I'm going to go upload more photos.

1 comment:

Bleuette Maman said...

I accidentally stumbled on your Blog....apparently you were on the same kind of CIE tour that I was on from Sept. 19 thru Oct 2nd,2008 (just prior to yours) as we followed the same schedule as you mentioned. When you said you "married" Ken, your tour guide at Cong, I wondered if that was Ken O'Connell who was our tour guide! He also "married" my friend on our visit to Cong. And the hotel in Galway...must have been the Meyrick on Eyre Square? Luckily my friend and I had the 5th. floor beautiful penthouse suite also with a panoramic view of Galway Bay and Eyre Square Park. It was a beautiful hotel! I hope you had as wonderful a time on the tour as we did. Ours was a 12 day tour & we laughed our way through Ireland. Ken was a wonderful guide & CIE is the BEST!